Friday, April 29, 2011

Tortoise Torture


We as locals in our beautiful town of Struisbaai and Agulhas are very proud of our areas breath taking features, our beautiful beaches, the views, the clean air, the sound of the ocean and our welcoming and friendly neighbors. Why then can we not take care of our animal friends that share this haven with us? Our most well-known is the tortoise, yet it seems some people must need glasses, as they don’t see them in the road.
Is it because you could care less about this little living creature or because you think it a waste of time to slow down because apparently wherever you need to get to in a hurry is far more important than saving a little life? I have been living in this town my whole life and never have I driven over a tortoise, so it is hard for me to understand why I see so many of them dead on our roads. I do understand that sometimes accidents happen and that it could not have been stopped, but I know I am not the only person to have seen the astronomical amount of dead tortoises this summer.
All I ask is to be a bit more aware of them when you are driving and to rather stop and help them out of the road if necessary. Please help keep this amazing little creature alive in our beautiful town. It would be a shame if our holiday makers could not enjoy our beautiful town without any wild life. I will also ad that our pheasants are also struggling with this problem so please be careful when you are driving in our town. Maybe the municipality should put up some boards to make people aware of this as well, so that our visitors can see we are trying to take care of our surroundings.
Let’s all work together and enjoy our town with the wild life it came with!


Regards
"A concerned Luv 4 Pets Member"

"Hugs Tiny~Tinks"

No comments:

Post a Comment